Saturday, September 14, 2013

Nittany Lion Cross 2013

Nittany Lion Cross 2013

By Julie Hunter

Photo Credit: Courtney Cotton
This past weekend marked my second year racing Nittany Lion Cross in Breiningsville, PA. Last year, Nittany was my first ever UCI Elite race where I finished in a not-so-spectacular position. My goal for this season was to get UCI points, meaning I would need a top-10 finish. Without having too many expectations for the first race of the season, I lined up in the third row confident and eager to do my best.

Photo Credit: Courtney Cotton

I didn't have the greatest start but managed to be somewhere in the top 15 by the middle of the first lap. By the end of that lap, I had made it to the top 10. After passing a few more riders, I was comfortably riding with with Ally Stacher (Specialized/Lululemon) and Cassie Maximenko (Rare Vos). Shortly before we began our final lap, I attacked through a muddy section and created a gap. I rode the final lap alone and managed to have a solid 6thplace finish in Saturday’s race out of a field of 40 amazing women.


Sunday’s race was much harder and faster. Even though we rode the exact same course but in reverse, we completed an extra lap on Day 2. The ground was also much drier, creating a lot of loose dirt around the twisty course. Unfortunately, my tires were not well suited for these conditions, so I chose to ride conservatively around the corners. I was hoping for another top 10 finish, but it was also just as important to have a smooth race and avoid hitting the ground.  I ended up finishing in 13th place on Day 2, putting me in 7th overall for the weekend.
Photo Credit: Courtney Cotton
I had a great time racing at Nittany and am looking forward to the rest of the season! I will be out at Jamestown CX this Saturday and South Germantown CX on Sunday. The following weekend will be another round of UCI races at Charm City CX in Baltimore, MD!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Become a fan on Facebook